I brought home a little bird today. It was dead and beautiful. I placed it on a table so I could find a display case. When I came back, glass candy dish in hand, he had been murdered. I am glad my crow friends got a snack, but I will miss my little bird.
Recipe Difficulty: Medium
1 large can of peeled tomatoes, diced for Feminine energy, love, passion, fidelity, protection, and creativity.
2 sleeves of saltine crackers (I like Zesta) for Earth energy.
1/2 of a medium onion, diced for Lunar energy, prosperity, protection, stability, and endurance.
2 Tbs. or so of vegetable shortening for the Plant and Earth energy it holds.
1. Drain most, but not all of the juice from the tomatoes into a bowl and reserve.
2. Dice tomatoes and place into a second bowl. Chopping the tomatoes gets messy, so you can use canned diced tomatoes as long as there is no skin.
3. Add diced onion and crumbled crackers to the diced tomatoes.
4. Mix well, adding just enough tomato liquid to help form a moist dough, cover, and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until the crackers are soft and and the liquid is absorbed. The mixture should be moist, not sloppy, so you may need to add more crackers to create the dough.
5. Place pan on medium-high heat and add vegetable shortening.
6. Once shortening has melted and begins to shimmer, form mixture into patties and fry until set and slightly golden.
* You can substitute bread crumbs for crackers or use crushed corn flakes, it’s just whatever you have on hand.
* Vegetable shortening is used because vegetable oil and cooking spray just don’t seem to work – the patties fall apart.
* Adding spices or other shredded/diced vegetables (zucchini) will stretch this out, just make certain to adjust the other recipe amounts. A little pepper for protection or some allspice for luck and prosperity can really make this dish that much more special.
* Due to the protective qualities of the tomatoes and onions, this dish would be good served to those you wish to guard from harm. That includes yourself! 🙂
* Crackers are an unleavened bread, so they contain no yeast. To some this means they are closer to the grain and therefore more sacred to Mother Earth. As such, this recipe can be used in place of honey cakes for offerings.
* Tomatoes are sacred to Hera, Aphrodite, and Venus, so consider focusing on your love for yourself and others while creating this dish to promote caring.
* If you feel down, this dish can help. Cry out your negative emotions while chopping the onion. Really breathe it in and feel the tears carry away unhelpful thoughts. Maybe see the unwanted feelings of sadness or doubt as smokey grey. Be careful not to let them fall into your food though! As you move on to prepare the rest of the ingredients, focus your energies on letting the food nourish your true, beautiful self. See the Life energies pulsing with caring. The red tomatoes with gentle love, the purifying onion that just made you cry, the crackers holding the recipe, the way a mother hugs. Then see all the positive energy fill you with a lovely glow, satisfying your body and infusing your spirit, taking up the space once occupied by negativity. Savory the process and relax as the cooking and eating process becomes a meditation on self.